Designing For A Classic
Designing the WA-47 to sound like the classic ‘47 was no easy task, especially considering that some of the vintage components are no longer available. We compared and listened to 2 different vintage ‘47 mics and found that they both sounded amazing but also sounded a little different from each other. These comparison tests became the benchmark for tailoring our WA-47 sonics to sit right in with these 2 vintage ‘47 mics. We are pleased to release such a gorgeous sounding classic to the market at a price that’s reachable to more people than ever before. We are also proud to mention that the WA-47 sounds legitimately indistinguishable to the vintage ‘47’s we auditioned on several sources.
As with all Warm Audio products, we focus heavily on quality components to ensure we release the best sounding product possible. The WA-47 is packed with top end components that are carefully sourced from many of the top pro audio component suppliers in the world.
True ’47 Style Capsule
The WA-47 utilizes a custom reproduction of the vintage k47 style capsule that was used in the classic ‘47 microphone – designed with the same hole pattern and frequency response. Every Warm Audio capsule is made in the same small assembly house in a clean-room environment, and packaged in its own protective jewel case until the moment it is loaded into the microphone. Each capsule is visually inspected and electrically tested for imperfections.
A large part of any microphone’s tone comes from its capsule, and the true k47 style capsule used in the WA-47 is not easily manufactured or typically found in affordable condenser microphones. We are proud to be using such a faithful recreation of this classic part in an affordably priced ’47 style microphone.
- Custom True ’47 Capsule Reproduction (K47 Style) – Model# WA-47-B-80v
- Capsule Makeup: Gold Sputtered, Dual Large Diaphragm, Single Backplate, 6 Microns NOS Mylar (PET Film)
- TAB-Funkenwerk (AMI) USA Output Transformer
- Premium 5751 Vacuum Tube
- Gotham 3 meter GAC-7, 7-pin tube microphone cable
- Wima, Solen French, And Polystyrene Capacitors
- Self-Noise: 11dBA
- Polar Patterns: 9 Patterns – Cardioid, Omni, Figure-Of-Eight + 6 Mixed Patterns
- Dynamic Range: 130dBA
- Maximum SPL: 140dB (<0.5% THD)
- Frequency Range: 20 Hz~20 KHz
- Output Impedance: 200 ohms
- Rated Load Impedance: ≥2kOhms
- S/N Ratio: 82dBA
- Equivalent Noise: 10dBA (IEC651)
- External IEC Grounded PSU
- Total Weight – 9 Lbs
- Mic Diameter: 60mm
- Mic Length: 254mm
- Includes: Microphone, Wood Box, Power Supply Unit, Shockmount, Gotham 7 Pin GAC-7 Cable, IEC Power Cable